In today’s fast-paced world, a lot of people are obsessed with getting better. This obsession has led to a booming self-help industry and a windfall for change management agents. Personality development has become necessary because everyone would like to be seen as having a good personality and more so have the necessary skills to progress at work. Improving/changing your personality can be difficult because your current behavior, attitude, thoughts, communication abilities, where formed since you were a child.
Personality development doesn’t only involve your inner self but also your outward appearance i.e. physique. Learning to think positively, be confident, develop a healthy body, having etiquette are some of the things people do to improve their personality. Some traits people often associate with a good personality are;
- Accepting Responsibility for your mistakes
- Showing consideration by being polite, courteous and compassionate
- Never criticizing or complaining
- Smiling and being kind
- Being a good listener
- Giving honest and sincere appreciation
- Practicing humility
- Being enthusiastic about life
Importance of Personality Development
At the beginning of every year most people set goals for personal development, however, more than 96% fail to archive them. Research shows that 80% of New Year’s resolutions are abandoned by February. Sticking to those resolutions is however good because having a well-rounded and developed personality;
- Ensures Continuous Improvement/Growth– You should always aim to be better than you were yesterday. As an individual, you should always keep on improving yourself. If you feel that there some things you don’t like about yourself work on changing them. Don’t stagnate always seek a better you.
- Helps in Better Management– Personality development helps you have the right personality and social skills. With this two, team participation becomes easier because you can interact effortlessly with colleagues. With a good personality, your employees will enjoy working with you and most likely perform better because you’re a good boss, who is full of positive energy.
- Builds Balance in Life– Personality development can help you be more organized, punctual, a person who keeps his word, etc. When you acquire such skills, you are able to plan every area of your life so none suffers. You create time for your family, time to exercise and meditate, work and so on. Every area benefits from a good and developed personality.
- Ensures Excellence in one’s Field– If you are constantly developing yourself you will ultimately become the best version of yourself. You become the go-to person on any matter in your field. That is why you find many CEO’s are very keen on theirs and staff development. You must keep learning new things to keep up with the ever-changing world. Personality development improves your chances of success in any undertaking-because you have the right mindset are goal oriented and likable.
Personality Development Tips
Having seen the importance of personality development and decided to better yourself some tips to ensure you stay on track could be
- Do Regular Reviews– You could do this daily, weekly or monthly. The basic aim here is to look to see if you are achieving what you intended. You could do this yourself or share what you’re trying to change with a friend and they could monitor your progress. Each month check in to ask how you are doing and the friend shares their observations and offers a suggestion where you go off track.
- Be Accountable– You may have a genuine desire to improve but lack the drive to see the development through. So, make yourself accountable by knowing they will be consequences if you quit. Knowing that you have to answer for progress either to yourself or someone else is a game changer.
- Join Others on a Similar Journey-Mutual reinforcement from others working to improve similar areas can be a powerful source of motivation. Look for a people you can meet regularly to exchange success stories, and things to watch out for can build confidence and commitment to press through setbacks.
- Look for a Place to Practices– Just like you have to train for a marathon so do you have to practice your new habit to become permanent. Whatever improvement you attempt to make, it will require ongoing experimentation and rehearsal before the change becomes the new normal. If you’re trying to overcome the fear of public speaker start with a small group.
- Hire a personality development coach– If you are able to afford a coach that would be great. As you hire one ensure you are seeking the services of the right person. You should have chemistry with your coach and they should have a successful track record of personality development.
Continuous personal development is fundamental to career growth, professional satisfaction, and having a broader impact in the world. With the help of simple methods anybody can develop a winning personality and change his or her future. Begin your personal development journey now and become a better you. Don’t forget in personality development clarity of goals, self-discipline, enthusiasm, learning from failure are key.